I don't create poetry, I create myself, for me my poems are a way to me. ~Edith Södergran

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What One Voice and WVR is about...

 In 2002 Russell Simmons created a HBO series sensation called Def Poetry Jam. It created a platform for writers across all ethnic background and ages to walk onto a stage and bring to life the art of spoken word poetry.  The series had a total of 6 successful seasons and then Russell Simmons, Stan Lathan and Kamilah Forbes created a different series similar to Def Poetry Jam called Brave New Voices.  This series focused on the talent of youth in spoken word poetry and poetry slam competitions. This blog spot is dedicated to gathering and providing a spotlight for high school aged youth in the Northern Virginia area to share, discuss and create a spoken word forum with the goal of eventually creating a slam team from this area. Words, Voices and Redemption is not about negativity or vulgarity in any way shape or form.  It is strictly a forum for positivity, talent, love and an appreciation for the art of creative writing and poetry. With that being said Welcome.....

No comments:

Post a Comment