I don't create poetry, I create myself, for me my poems are a way to me. ~Edith Södergran

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Power In Words

One of the reasons I decided to create this blog is because there were several periods of time during my teaching career that I chose to let some of my students read some the writings that I had done.  Because I have always used my writing as a form of therapy I was hesitant at first to do so but what I soon found out was that as I shared with students, they began to share some of their writing with me.  At times it was students that were not necessarily the best in my class or maybe even had issues with discipline.  Once I read what was really going on with them and the power with which they expressed that through their poetry it gave me a whole new perspective on what this younger generation is going through.  It is that voice that is not spoken but is written that I would like to work with youth on creating and expressing.  Hopefully this blog can be a start.  I am posting this video of a guy named Daniel Beaty who performed a poem on Def Poetry Jam in one of the later seasons called Knock Knock...take a look..it is powerful stuff..I had to watch it a couple of times..Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment